The World Avocado Congress is committed to sustainability practice and reducing the impact on the environment. We encourage all attendees, sponsors, exhibitors, and suppliers to also consider environmentally friendly options in attending the Congress.
Our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint:
Please see below some of the initiatives underway with the organisers and suppliers for the 2023 Congress.
The Venue: Aotea Centre and Auckland Conventions Venues and Events
Auckland Conventions, Venue and Events have embarked on a journey towards sustainability by committing to progressively reduce their total operational emissions on an annual basis.
In 2019, ACVE received Toitū carbonreduce certification as a business unit of Tātaki Auckland Unlimited, recognising their efforts in actively identifying, managing and minimising the impacts of their operations on the environment
Through education, waste minimisation initiatives, influencing their our supply chain, and reducing consumption of water and energy, ACVE and Tātaki Auckland Unlimited continue to seek ways to protect and nurture heritage while enriching life in Tāmaki Makaurau.
Best practices at Aotea Centre include:
- Recyclable/compostable packaging
- Water-filling stations installed for visitors to refill their water bottles, reducing single-use plastic bottle litter
- All event waste is hand-sorted at the Aotea Arts Quarter’s own recycling centre. Waste and recycling volumes are closely monitored with a landfill diversion target of 75%
- Digital screens to replace printed venue signage
- Accredited caterers who provide sustainability-conscious solutions for events, including offering locally sourced produce, sustainable menus, eco-friendly cutlery and crockery options, as well as repurposing or donating excess food to charity
Find out more here
- Printed materials are kept to a minimum, with attendees encouraged to use electronic resources such as the Congress website.
- Abstract materials are provided electronically only, via the website or app.
- Name badges use paper and lanyards that can be recycled.
- Sponsors and Exhibitors are requested to reflect positive environmental values and practices in their participation.
- Exhibition stand multiuse displays and reusable build components.
What can you do?
- The Hotels selected by the Congress are all located near to the Aotea Centre. Where possible, we encourage you to walk between locations rather than taxi or drive.
- Please follow the waste separation instructions at the venue and at your accommodation.
- Tap water stations are available in the Centre, please bring your own reusable bottle.
- Please bring a reusable bag, if required, to carry your Congress materials in.